Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Auld Lang Syne

("The title of the Scottish tune [Auld Lang Syne] translates to "times gone by" and is about remembering friends from the past and not letting them be forgotten." -- Thank you ABC NewsWikipedia says: "The song's Scots title may be translated into English literally as "old long since", or more idiomatically, "long long ago", "days gone by" or "old times". Consequently "For auld lang syne", as it appears in the first line of the chorus, might be loosely translated as "for (the sake of) old times".")

I tend to fail horribly when I make resolutions.  And when I fail, I feel really bad and often slip into a depressive episode.  Last year, I decided to do things a bit differently and found an idea on Pinterest.  It is a New Year Manifesto and, in my interpretation, instead of making statements such as "I will exercise" would make a broader and more general statement like "I will lead a healthier lifestyle."  This is what I did last year:


I haven't done one this year but plan on working on it over the next few days.  I'm guessing there will be some repeats.  Overall, I feel like it was a very successful project.

There is a lot that will happen in the coming year.  The biggest things is that I will be continuing to focus on my mental health and getting a better handle on it.  I also plan to simplify my life as much as possible by focusing my energies on the things and people that matter the most to me.  In doing so, I hope to rid myself of as much negativity and unnecessary items, commitments and people as possible. 

Two particular events will weigh on my mind more often than not.  The first is that by the end of May, Li and her husband will be moving.  They will be about five hours away.  While they have certainly found their dream home and land as well as getting back into a larger city with diversity and culture, I still don't want them to go.  I'm going to feel so lost.  I know we will keep in touch and that there will be numerous visits, but it won't be quite the same.  I'm so happy for them but I'm sad for me. 

The other event of note is that when the 2013-2014 school year begins in August, we will have two kids in high school and Z will be starting his senior year.  It is just so hard to accept that they are growing up into these amazing young adults.  I'm completely proud of them and love them to bits but what happened to those little kids I first met about ten years ago?

I'm excited to see what the year will hold.  I'm very hopeful that it will be an amazing year.  I know there will be tough times but as long as I learn something from them, I will do my best to take them in stride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment