Monday, January 14, 2013

Therapy thoughts

Therapy hasn't been my thing.  I've tried it a few times (see this post) and have only had one good, worthwhile experience.  The others were sad disasters or horrid failures.  Most of the time that I went to see a licensed therapist, it was ordered upon me.  Not always.  No matter, I don't feel like I'm a go-to-a-therapist-who-charges-me-money person.  My friends are my sounding boards.  My family gives me advice.  My dogs are my listeners.

But then I read the post "What do you want out of therapy?" in the blog Anxiety Adventures

Something clicked in me.  I've never really thought about what I wanted out of therapy.  I never broke it down any further than "to get better."  And that is one hell of a vague want.

The post inspired me to create my own list.  Of course, I've yet to do this but I did get to thinking that this list, this specific list, is not only what I want out of therapy; it is also what I need to answer or find answers to, in order for me to feel as though I'm healthy and managing my mental illness in the best manner possible.  That is a big realization.  Huge, really.

I just need to get started on it...and so many other things as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment