Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The price of happiness

As I've mentioned, I do not have health insurance currently so all of the doctor's fees, tests, blood work and medications come out-of-pocket.  Thankfully, my meds are rather cheap in comparison to some of the horror stories I've heard.

This is mostly for my own record but if you are unaware, here is what I am paying, full price, at Walmart.

Sertraline (generic form of Zoloft) 100 mg tablet --$19.72 for thirty tablets
Lorazepam (generic form of Ativan) 0.5 mg tablet -- $16.84 for sixty tablets

If my history is any indication, the Lorazepam will last me at least six months, if not more.

This is a huge relief for me.  The anxiety and depression that comes from worrying about just how the hell I can afford to see my doctor and take my medication is enormous.  It's a nasty, viscious cycle.  We need money so I can go to the doctor and fill my prescriptions.  I need my prescriptions so I can be balanced and stable.  I need to be balanced and stable so I can find and keep a job.  I need a job so I can have money so I can go to the doctor and fill my prescriptions...

UGH!

Luckily, my parents are helping bridge the financial gap by offering assistance as I need it until I can get a job and start covering the costs completely on my own.  I'm so grateful for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment