Saturday, September 15, 2012

Causes of my panic attacks

I started to recognize situations that were more apt to cause a panic attack.
  • Crowds -- I was okay in crowds for short periods of time.  This also included crowded locations.  If I was outside, I could handle just about any number of people.  Outside was "safe" for me although this didn't mean I couldn't have a panic attack while outdoors. 
  • Long-distance car rides -- Something about riding in a car could work me into a panic.  It wasn't something that always happened, but it was more probable than other situations.  Riding in the backseat and listening to music through headphones helped a great deal.
  • Uncertainty -- If I didn't know what I was getting into, I could lose it.  I didn't need to know everything that was going to happen, but a loose schedule made everything easier. Along the same lines, surprises weren't good and neither we massive changes in a schedule.
  • Increased demands/questions -- If I'm being asked a lot of questions in a situation, questions that I did not anticipate, I may panic.  These questions could even be small things such as what we are having for lunch.  Increased demands on me can also push me over the edge.  It's not that I don't expect there to be demand on me in my life, but when those demands are much greater than anticipated, I may just have a panic attack. 
  • Temperature -- I do not cope with heat well at all.  Being hot/not being able to cool down, can cause me to feel exceptionally agitated and may lead to a panic attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment