Saturday, September 15, 2012

Panic attack coping mechanisms

I also started relying on various coping mechanisms to either alleviate the panic attack or lessen it. 
  • Repetition -- Repeating mantras or chants over and over in my head helps me get out of my head and focus on the present and not the panic attack.  I sometimes will recite the presidents of the United States as well.
  • Using my five senses -- Taking a drink of something very cold or hot helps me be present.  Popping in a piece of gum or a mint also works.  I sometimes take a deep breath of something nearby that smells pleasant.  I also will tap my fingers together in various patterns.  By utilizing one of my five senses, I can change my focus.
  • Counting -- I will count objects I see, constantly moving to another set of objects once the former has been counted.
  • Breath work -- By focusing on my breathing, I can slow it down and help myself calm.  Sometimes I will cycle my breathing by inhaling for a count of one, holding for a count of one, exhaling for a count of one and then increase it to two, then three, then four.  Once I hit four, I try to maintain that level.  I will breathe into a paper bag as well if I am hyperventilating or on the verge of hyperventilating. 
  • Grounding and centering -- This is a method of connecting to myself and connecting to the earth and life around me in a way that is safe and non-threatening.
  • Safe people -- There are certain people in my life that I call my safe people.  These people know me and recognize my panic symptoms.  They are able to help me calm down or aid me in escaping a situation with dignity and grace.  If I am with these people, I feel safe and prepared.   
  • Having a plan -- Knowing the details is very important to me.  I'm not fond of surprises and don't adapt quickly to changes in a schedule.  If I know where I'm going, who could be there, what will be expected of me and how long I will be there, I can plan accordingly.  There is safety in having a planned schedule.

By getting a grasp on my panic disorders,
I diminished its power over me and my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment