Friday, September 21, 2012

Describing my depression, part 2

After a lot of time, I know that there isn't anything "wrong" with the exception that I have depression.  There isn't a incident that happens to make me depressed, however incidents can make my already depressed mood worse or can trigger me into a depression if I'm teetering on the edge of the depression pit.

This sums it up quite nicely.
It is so difficult to explain depression to someone who has never had clinical depression.  Most people have experienced depressive episodes and might assume that such an episode is what depression is like.  In my experiences, this is true but not. 

I really don't know how to explain it so it makes sense.  Some of the feelings and emotions are similar but someone having a depressive episode will go through the experience and come out on the other side.  Those with clinical depression take much longer to come out of the depression.  It seems that depressive episodes can be traced back to a trigger - death, end of relationship, loss of job, etc. - whereas clinical depression doesn't have a trigger since it is a brain disorder. 

More than anything, I would love to be able to put into words just what goes on in my brain and in my life when I'm dealing with depression.  I want those I love to understand what I'm dealing with so they can understand it and me.  I know this would help them out just as much as it would help me.

Perhaps this blog will help.  Maybe I will be able to better work out my thoughts and explain things.  I think that is really by big goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment