Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Natural alternative to Sertraline HCL (Zoloft) for depression

Read more at Prevention.

Key Statistics: Women are 70% more likely than men to suffer from depression, reports the National Institute of Mental Health.  

Natural Remedy: Put More Fish on Your Dish. Some research finds that fish oil can have an anti-depressant effect. “Studies show that eating omega-3 rich seafood two or more times a week may be linked with a 50 percent lower rate of depression,” says Dr. Miller. She points to Iceland, where they eat a hefty 225 pounds of cold-water fish such as char, herring and cod per person per year—and have surprisingly low rates of seasonal affective disorder and depression despite long, dark winters. By contrast, Americans average out at 48 pounds of fish per person. To get your dose of omega-3s, try having a daily teaspoon of cod liver oil. Dr. Teitelbaum recommends also recommends 1 capsule of Vectomega daily. Or make an effort to eat low-mercury fish (high-mercury swimmers such as swordfish have been linked to birth defects) twice a week. Go for grilled salmon when ordering at restaurants, or make your own light tuna salad by mixing low-mercury canned tuna, such as Fishing Vessel St. Jude (find out where to buy at www.tunatuna.com), with greens and 2 tablespoons reduced-fat olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Sardines are another great choice, says Dr. Miller. “If you are not a fish lover you can still get your omega-3s by eating leafy greens, seeds such as flax or pumpkin, walnuts, and free range meats and dairy, ” Dr. Miller adds. 
_____________

I'm always looking for natural alternatives to my medication.  I know that my depression is strong and great enough that I'll probably never be able to be off my medication but anything that can give me a little boost is worth checking out further.  So I'm going to do this.  If I notice that it is working, I will definitely report back to spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment