Friday, August 17, 2012

HISTORY: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

*I first mention PTSD in a post I intended to devote only to medications.  This post is a continuation/clarification of that original post, which you can read here.

When Dr. S mentioned PTSD, I wasn't entirely surprised.  It made sense and after I had shared a lot of my history with him, I knew he might go that route and tack a PTSD diagnosis on with everything else.  He strongly recommended counseling to work through those issues.  That wasn't going to happen and it's not going to be happening any time soon.

I think the PTSD label is semi-accurate.  I don't overly identify with it but know that it is part of who I am and will be something that I will struggle with, perhaps forever.  I'm okay with that.  As much as my past is painful, it has made me who I am and I really like that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment