Monday, August 13, 2012

HISTORY: Pinpointing the beginning

When I look back on when my depression started, I could honestly pick any number of moments that life had pretty much gone to shit and I was more than just feeling "blue."  I'm not going to go into said shit moments because everyone has them and I get disgusted when it becomes a pissing contest of sorts to one-up someone about who has had more terrible things happen to them.  It's quite sad really.

Back on track...I am pretty sure I know when it started or at least when it started fucking up my life. It was my last semester in college - 1997.  I was terrified of graduating and leaving the comfy environment I had carved for myself.  Seriously, my life was a pretty cool dream.  I had wonderful friends, was in several leadership roles in various clubs, doing well in my classes, and was taking courses I loved.

I had just changed my major by dropping the teaching aspect of my degree.  Yes, that was a huge thing but I knew what I wanted to do instead and had a plan in place of how to make that happen.  I'd found my passion and knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Before long, sleeping all day and skipping classes (more than typical) became the norm.  I was slacking on my responsibilities with the internship I'd designed that would also relay directly into what I wanted to do with my future.  When I say slacking, I mean avoiding and simply not showing up.  It wasn't that I didn't care because I did.  It was that I just couldn't do it.  I didn't understand why at the time and I didn't realize that I needed to ask for help.  It just was.  Perhaps friends, professors, co-workers, and even me blamed it on senior-itis or partying too much.  Maybe I hid it well enough to not cause worry.  I honestly don't know.

Things got better and then got worse.  Damn the roller coaster.  I had a few interviews but nothing in my dream career was panning out.  I wasn't ready to go to grad school and didn't want to go home.

I ended up moving in with my father, step mother and little sister for the summer after graduation.  It was meant to be a temporary thing as I searched for jobs and tried to get my post-college life on track.  I started calling in to my job and wasn't making payments on my car or keeping up on the insurance.  I knew what I was doing was wrong and would most certainly get me into trouble but it was as though I was helpless to make myself be responsible.

After a few months, I moved in with my mother and step father.  Mom helped me get back on track with the bills...at least those she knew about...and I found two jobs and I really enjoyed them.  I ended up living with my parents for almost a year before being on my feet enough to get my own apartment in September of 1998.

Finally, I felt like a grown up and in control of my own life.  All continued to go well until October 1999.

To pick up a bit of extra money, I cleaned my parents' house on a weekly basis.  I hate cleaning but the extra money was nice.  One day, I just wasn't feeling "right."  My mom got home early and was less than enthused about the job I had done cleaning the house and let me know.  I was upset and hurt and maybe even a bit angry so, in a huff, I left to drive the ten miles back home.

I started driving my car off the road more than once on that drive.

Somehow, I managed to make it home safely.  When I entered my apartment, my beautiful cat Pacey came to greet me as was his way.  I kicked at him and screamed before crumbling to the floor, bursting into tears, and, having a panic attack.  I wanted to die.  Life wasn't worth it anymore.  Nothing was right.  I didn't want to go on.  This was not the first time I considered taking my own life.  This was also not the first time that I took actual steps to end my life. (Although I have had thoughts of wanting to die since then, I have never again taken any action towards doing so.)


 A nervous breakdown?  That's what I called it and if it wasn't, I sure as hell hope that I never have one.

It took every ounce of my being to pull myself together enough to call my mom.  She's amazing.  She was probably just as scared as I was but she remained calm and talked to me.  After I convinced her, and myself, that I wasn't going to kill myself, we made a plan.  I would call the doctor and make an appointment for the next day.  And I did.

I met with Dr. E the following day.  He is a general practitioner.  After listening to me relay the events of the past 24 hours and convincing him I wasn't a suicide risk, he agreed that I did indeed have a break of some sort.  He suspected clinical depression was the cause and prescribed me my first anti-depressant - Prozac - and the dance began.

No comments:

Post a Comment