Saturday, June 22, 2013

Depression is terrible


https://www.facebook.com/acanvasoftheminds
I don't want to compare depression and cancer because they are two completely different things.  But they do affect your life in similar ways in that they change so many aspects and can destroy you.  There are treatments for both, none of which are guaranteed to work.   Both are capable of killing you - quickly or slowly.  Both hurt in so many ways - physically, emotionally, and mentally.  You have the choice to fight it or let it win.  

I'm also not saying one is worse than the other.  Or that one is easier to have than the other.  

But the quote resonates with me.  

When someone has cancer, people know what to expect.  They understand what chemotherapy and radiation are meant to do to help the person with cancer and they may be aware of the potential side effects of such treatments.  People understand cancer. 

Many people do not understand depression or other forms of mental illness, at least not fully.  They don't know what to expect.  They don't know the processes to treat it.  

2 comments:

  1. I know the quote was just one I had collected that resonated with me as well, but I'm really grateful that you found this particular image/quote combination worth sharing. I haven't done many of these, and this one was actually very therapeutic for me to make when I was going through my most recent depression. I know I've only just run across this almost six months later, but it means something to me that it meant something to you, if that makes sense. Hope you are well.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. When I wrote this post, I was just hanging on and didn't even notice that the website address was on the side. I'm going to edit my post so it links the image correctly. Thank you for sharing your story and you creativity. It is an inspiration to me.

      Delete